Become A Minicab Driver In Greater London

How To Become A London Minicab Driver

By Lee Kane

Private Hire Licence BadgeThe first thing you need to do on your journey to becoming a London minicab driver is contact Transport for London (TFL) on:

contact number for TFL driver information - 0845 602 7000

or email them at -

and request a Private Hire Driver application pack. This is probably the best way to begin as you can also ask the staff, any questions you may have.

You can also find out more about what requirements you need to meet to be a private hire driver by visiting the Transport for London website. The link below will take you to the TFL webpage for private hire driver requirements:

Apply for a private hire driver licence

You can find some more links to TFL information on becoming a private hire driver at the bottom of this page along with some other helpful websites.

MedicalThe application will involve you arranging with your local GP a medical check. There is a charge for this which is somewhere in the region of *£60-£120.

Map ReadingYou will also have to arrange for a topographical assessment which will cost you in the region of *£25-£35. When it comes to your topographical assessment choose a testing centre near to your local area as they will be testing you on this area.

Criminal Records CheckAnother part of the application process is applying for an Enhanced CRB check which once completed by the authorities will be forwarded to Tfl. You can download the application by visiting their website or calling them to request a form to be sent to you on:

TMG CRB: 0845 251 5000

The cost of a Enhanced CRB check is around *£57

(you might want to enquire first if the Enhanced CRB application form comes with the private hire drivers application pack)

Before Tfl can process your application they have to receive the Enhanced CRB check. You can track the progress of the CRB application at the link below:

Criminal Records Bureau tracking service

Criminal convictions and minicab drivers

Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1974 it makes it unlawful for any employer to discriminate against you for a crime that is Spent: Employment rights and representation for ex-offenders.

It is also worth reading the Taxi and Private Hire Vehicle Licensing: Best Practice Guidance (opens as a PDF) document which outlines in greater depth the requirements of becoming a private hire driver, minicabing and procedures for appeals.

When you have gathered all the correct paper work you then send it off to Tfl with payment of *£262. Then you wait. Tfl says it can take up to 16 weeks for your application to be processed.

Licence your car as a private hire vehicle

Private Hire Vehicle Green BadgeOnce you have your PCO license and if you decide to use your own vehicle instead of renting one, then the first thing you will need is a car.

Your car will have to be 5 years old or less to meet the criteria of a PHV (private hire vehicle). Cars older then 5 years may still be able to be licensed only if they were licensed before 1st of April 2012 and are no older then 10 years. A PHV must be at least Euro Standard 4 in emissions to qualify.

You will have to contact the

SGS call centre on: 0845 378 2345

to make an appointment to have your vehicle inspected and licensed. You will need to take your V5 DVLA Vehicle Registration Certificate, an MOT certificate no older then 14 days, a valid tax disc, proof of insurance and your appointment letter.

You should consult the various criteria your car will need to meet by visiting TFL vehicle licensing webpage.

* Costs are estimates and were representative of the cost's at time of publication in 2011.

More Minicab Resource Links

Private hire vehicle driver application

Enhanced CRB application

PCO Vehicle Licence

Fees for Private Hire Drivers

Private Hire and Courier Magazine

Taxi Forums Information

You Might Also Like

Share your thoughts!